Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Is Your E-mail Safe? How to Protect Your E-Mail

Magsafe


We send dozens of e-mails to people every day. Have you ever sat down and thought about the number of e-mails that you send, especially during a work day. I know that I receive a huge collection of messages from clients, and an astounding number of spam. You know what I mean. I get e-mails telling me that I am due millions of dollars from a relative somewhere. I get e-mails telling me that my e-mail provider needs me to confirm/provide information or my e-mail will be disconnected. My e-mail hasn’t been disconnected yet. There’s no gigantic check waiting for me, which will make me independently wealthy. I think that I’m relatively savvy when it comes to e-mail messages, but some of the e-mails that contain logos from my bank, or companies that I have done business with in the past look convincing.


Do Not Click on Suspicious Messages
How do I maintain my internet safety? I never click on links in e-mail messages from banks or service providers. I read everything that I need to read concerning my accounts on the original sites. When I’m on the site, I check to make sure that it is secure, before I enter data. I also do not click on links that arrive in my e-mail from friends if the message sounds strange. Sometimes I get strange short messages from my friends. The message might say something like, check this outwith a shortened link. Scammers can pose as your friends and send messages that appear to come from people that you know. If you are not aware of this, you could click on an unsafe link.


Encrypt and Delete
Software that encrypts e-mails and confirms the identity of the sender can help keep your e-mail secure. It is also important to close e-mails that you have not read and perhaps delete messages that you no longer need. I always make sure that I use secure email, and I log out when using web-based internet service in a public place or at an office where others can enter. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve sat down to use a computer in a public computer lab or a library and realized that the person who used the computer before me was still logged into their e-mail. Forgetting to log out of your e-mail account leaves the door wide open for others who wish to pose as you or steal information from you.


Deter Hackers
What do you do to keep your e-mail safe from hackers? We’ve all heard the stories of people having their e-mail or social network accounts hacked. I thought that a column written by Kim Komando’s USA Today’s CyberSpeak column had great advice. Most sites ask that you provide secret answers to questions to reset and/or access your account. The question might ask for your mother’s name or your favorite city. She suggested that you do not answer these questions correctly, and use numbers and symbols in your response. She wrote that people that you know can guess secret answers that you use to gain access to your accounts. I think that people write so much about their lives online these days, that you might have Twitter followers who know answers to the common questions used to reset an e-mail password. I suggest that you use answers that do not make sense and keep those passwords safe. It’s also best to use different passwords for different e-mail accounts, because if not, the hacker could decipher one password and get into all of your accounts.

1 comment:

  1. All the ideas suggested are really cool. People do wanted to know about how they can safeguard their emails from malicious attacks. This article will help them all, thanks for sharing all these tricks.
    e-sign act

    ReplyDelete