Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Internet Security is Even more Important for Travelers

new old thing

Have you ever watched the show The Amazing Race? Candidates race around the world for a $1 million. They are given clues that they must decipher to figure out where they need to be at a certain time. The contestants have to deal with language barriers, and many of them get lost trying to find the various stops during the race. If a contestant loses one very important item he or she is usually disqualified from continuing in this international race. Do you know what that item is? Okay, I’ll tell you. If someone loses his or her passport, that contestant must go home.
Important Documents for Traveling
The contestants need to have a passport for traveling to many of the destinations along the travel route. I suspect that many of the candidates in the various episodes did not have passports before being involved with the race’s preparations, because they had never traveled outside of the United States. It’s always fun to see people who haven’t traveled abroad, experience a new country for the first time. Keeping track of a passport is akin to keeping up with a social security number or any other national id number. The $1 million prize, and the stress of being in certain places within specific timeframes made the show even more interesting. Losing an item that proves your identity is scary when you are home or abroad.
No Computers
The candidates on the show are stripped of their personal computers, GPS systems, and cell phones. They do borrow these tools from strangers they meet in the various countries who are willing to help, though. I can’t imagine not having my laptop while traveling abroad. When I traveled to Asia, I was afraid that a virus might attack my computer or it could have been hacked. I needed my laptop to help me navigate the city where I lived and communicate with friends and family members. My computer helped me bridge the gap between my new surroundings and my home in the United States. I surfed the Internet often, while I was abroad. I read restaurant reviews, learned how to use the subway system, and learned about things to do for the weekend on the net.
Secure Travels
Internet security is especially important while you are traveling, you feel more vulnerable when you are in a different country. Not only do you have to contend with proving your identity in a country with different policies, but you might also have the challenge of communicating your needs despite a language barrier. Sure, you can go to the American Embassy and get help, but first you have to figure out where it is located and how to get there. Depending on the nature of the attack, you could end up penniless in another country. Sometimes the Amazing Race candidates ended up broke in foreign countries and had to beg for money. That’s a frightening situation.
With a proper internet security system travelers who are on the road for a short period of time or those who are on extended visits, simply feel safer. They are safer when they visit sites that offer protection. It’s riskier to enter personal information or financial information on sites that do not offer several layers of protection. Travelers should be especially diligent and observant when using public computers or completing transactions online. Travels for business, pleasure, or to win a $1 million will be safer if proper precautions are taken when using the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment